Idle Reset Procedure
From V6SHOJump to navigationJump to search
Thanks to Scott Patterson on SHOForum:
- The Ford owner's manual directs that the idle program be relearned following any service when the battery has been disconnected. To do this, it states that the engine should be started and allowed to idle for the (approximately) 70 seconds without touching the gas pedal. Adding the accessory loads ensures that the EEC and IAC valve can accommodate the additional air flow requirements and still maintain the programmed idle speed.
- It is preferable that the car be driven immediately after setting the idle programming. While driving, allow the coolant temperature to rise to the normal range and run the car through its entire performance range.
Idle Speed Program Reset Procedure
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Optionally, disconnect the keep alive memory (KAM) connector in the small
- wire also landed to the negative battery terminal.
- Wait at least 30 seconds.
- Reconnect the KAM connector or negative battery terminal.
- Start engine normally (never press the gas pedal).
- Allow the idle speed to settle for at least 30 seconds.
- Within 70 seconds of starting the engine, concurrently apply all accessory loads.
- Climate control to MAX A/C.
- Headlight switch ON, brights ON.
- Turn steering wheel slowly ~1/4 turn side to side.
- Press brake pedal.
- ATX SHOs only: shifter to DRIVE.
- Do not turn off engine for at least 5 minutes.
See Idle Reset Tips for more tips regarding troubleshooting idle problems.